Meet the Roku streaming player lineup with higher performance, more convenience and greater value than ever before! Today we’re pleased to announce five new streaming players, starting at just $29.99 MSRP, that give customers who enjoy TV better ways to connect to the entertainment they love. In addition, we’re unveiling the latest version of our operating system, Roku OS 8.
First up: the new streaming players!
Roku Express and Roku Express+
These are great streaming players for first-time streamers or as an addition to another room in your house. The second-generation Roku Express and Roku Express+ are 5x more powerful than their predecessors and start at only $29.99 MSRP.
For classic TV owners, the Roku Express+ offers the same streaming experience as the Roku Express, with options to connect via HDMI® or composite A/V ports (red/yellow/white jacks). It’s available for $39.99 MSRP exclusively at Walmart.
Roku® Streaming Stick® and Roku Streaming Stick+
Small, powerful and portable, and perfect for those who are on the move or want their streaming player hidden behind their TV, the Roku Streaming Stick offers exceptional HD streaming for $49.99 MSRP. It features a quad-core processor and 802.11 AC dual-band MIMO wireless. And to make things even easier, it also comes with a new voice remote that includes buttons for TV power and volume to control compatible TVs as well as the Roku Streaming Stick.
The Roku Streaming Stick+ boasts exceptional wireless performance with its advanced wireless receiver that is innovatively built into the power cord. This new model, at $69.99 MSRP, offers up to 4x the wireless range than the 2016 Roku Streaming Stick to minimize buffering. It’s great for HD, 4K and 4K HDR up to 60 frames per second (fps) streaming. It also comes with the same new voice remote as the Roku Streaming Stick.
Our most powerful and feature-packed player offers our best wireless performance and can stream HD, 4K and 4K HDR at up to 60 fps. Now at a lower price of $99.99, the Roku Ultra features an ethernet port for wired connectivity and micro SD slot to help speed up streaming channel load times. With our new remote, you can power up and change volume on the TV, plus use voice to find your favorite shows. It also includes a headphone jack for private listening and a remote finder button that helps locate lost remotes.
This new line of streaming players will be available for pre-order today from Roku.com, Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon and other retailers, and are expected to be in stores around October 8. The Roku Express+ is available exclusively at Walmart beginning October 8. Customers who purchase a new Roku player will receive a $10 Vudu credit towards a rental or purchase (offer expires 10/31/17)!
Roku OS 8
Roku OS 8 delivers enhanced features that add convenience and value to Roku customer’s streaming entertainment experience. Select features are highlighted below – or click here to read the full list of features, enhancements and bug fixes included in Roku OS 8.
Seamless entertainment for Roku TV:
- Voice Control: Roku TVs now feature voice controls to make it easy to switch inputs, tune to a local antenna broadcast channel, launch a streaming channel and more.
- Fast TV Start: Allows a Roku TV to start quickly and launch a streaming or antenna TV channel in seconds simply using a voice command. For example, you can say “launch Hulu” and the TV will turn on and open the Hulu streaming channel. Or, say, “tune to ABC,” and the TV will turn on and tune to the local ABC station if an HDTV antenna is connected to the Roku TV.
- Smart Guide: An electronic program guide for Roku TVs that seamlessly integrates information for local broadcast TV via an HDTV antenna with streaming options allowing customers to search for, find and discover entertainment. The guide provides program information for local antenna broadcast TV channels from seven days in the past to up to 14 days in the future.
- Roku Search for Local Antenna TV: Local antenna broadcast TV options are now included in Roku Search results for Roku TV customers who use an HDTV TV antenna to receive free local broadcast TV.
- Private Listening for Antenna Content: Roku TV customers with an HDTV antenna connected to their TV can now use private listening to hear audio for local antenna broadcast content (as well as their streaming content) either using their mobile device via the Roku mobile app or through the headphone jack on the remote control on select Roku TV models. This feature is also available for streaming.
Quicker, easier access to content for all Roku devices
- Enhanced Voice Features: Voice search now includes natural language understanding and can search for movies, shows, actors and directors, or even launch streaming channels, in a more conversational tone. For example, you can say things like, “show me movies with Tom Hanks,” “launch Hulu,” or even more detailed searches such as “show me comedies with Will Ferrell.”
- TV Everywhere Single Sign-On: TVE single sign-on, available for pay TV customers, eliminates the need to log in to TVE channels, such as Watch ESPN or FOX NOW, repeatedly. Customers who subscribe to Dish, Cox, AT&T and hundreds of other providers will enjoy the convenience of single sign-on when using 30 TVE channels. More providers are expected to be added to the feature over time.
- 4K Spotlight Channel Update: The redesigned Roku 4K Spotlight Channel makes it easier than ever to find 4K, HDR and Dolby Vision™ content available on the Roku platform for players and TVs that support these standards.
Roku OS 8 will begin rolling out to Roku players in early October, and Roku TV models beginning in November. The software update is expected to rollout to all compatible Roku devices by the end of the year.
The post Introducing the Roku Streaming Stick+ and the new Roku streaming player lineup, plus Roku OS 8 appeared first on The Official Roku Blog.