Every week, we put together a list of free movies to watch on The Roku Channel. All six films featured in this week’s slate received the prestigious “Certified Fresh” rating from our friends over at Rotten Tomatoes.
If you don’t have The Roku Channel yet, click here to add the channel and start streaming for free!
– The Hurt Locker (2008): During the Iraq War, a Sergeant recently assigned to an army bomb squad is put at odds with his squad mates due to his maverick way of handling his work. Starring Jeremy Renner and Anthony Mackie.
Why it made our list: The film won 6 Oscars. Enough said!
– Mulholland Drive (2001): After a car wreck on the winding Mulholland Drive renders a woman amnesiac, she and a perky Hollywood-hopeful search for clues and answers across Los Angeles in a twisting venture beyond dreams and reality. Starring Naomi Watts and Justin Theroux.
Why it made our list: This mind-blowing thriller will have you pondering what just happened long after the final scene.
– True Romance (1993): In Detroit, a lonely pop culture geek marries a call girl, steals cocaine from her pimp, and tries to sell it in Hollywood. Meanwhile, the owners of the cocaine – the Mob – track them down in an attempt to reclaim it. Starring Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette.
Why it made our list: This film withstands the test of time as a true ’90s classic – and some would even call it Tarantino’s best film.
– Léon, The Professional (1994): Mathilda, a 12-year-old girl, is reluctantly taken in by Léon, a professional assassin, after her family is murdered. Léon and Mathilda form an unusual relationship, as she becomes his protégée and learns the assassin’s trade. Starring Jean Reno and Natalie Portman.
Why it made our list: Natalie Portman delivers a standout performance as Mathilda in her feature film debut – she was just 11 years old when she was cast for the film.
– Like Crazy (2011): A British college student falls for an American student, only to be separated from him when she’s banned from the U.S. after overstaying her visa. Starring Felicity Jones, Anton Yelchin, and Jennifer Lawrence.
Why it made our list: Get your tissues ready; to say Like Crazy will tug at your emotions is an understatement.
– Warrior (2011): The youngest son of an alcoholic former boxer returns home, where he’s trained by his father for competition in a mixed martial arts tournament – a path that puts the fighter on a collision course with his estranged, older brother. Starring Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte.
Why it made our list: This powerful, moving film is far more than just another fight movie.
Looking for more free entertainment? Check out these 5 new free channels.